Completed in 1854, Jacinto Courthouse presents a compelling story of a by-gone era and a bustling southern boom town. Tour this excellent example of Federal-style architecture.
Hwy 356 East of Rienzi
Hours: May-Sept: Tue-Fri & Sun 1-5 p.m., Sat 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Apr & Oct-Nov: Sat 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun 1-5 p.m.
Admission: There is no admittance fee, but donations are accepted.
c. 1847. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and a Mississippi Landmark. This restored Georgian-Greek Revival mansion, built in 1847 was once the home of Confederate General Stephen D. Lee, first President of MSU, first Superintendent of Vicksburg National Park, founder of the United Confederate Veterans, and first Chairman of the Board for the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. The house is fully furnished and includes personal items of the Lee family and the museum upstairs houses a treasure trove of Civil War artifacts and collections. Open Fridays without an appointment from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. All other days are by appointment (last minute notices OK). $10 for adults. Tour groups are welcome. Visit us on Facebook.
Stephen D Lee Home & Museum
Designed in the Ionic Greek Revival style famous for its fluted columns, the oldest building at the University of Mississippi housed most of the classrooms and faculty offices in 1848. Today the Lyceum is the principal administrative center. Its history includes being used as a hospital during the Civil War for both Union and Confederate soldiers and being the site of rioting during the desegregation crisis in 1962 centered on the admission of James Meredith. In October 2006, a Civil Rights Monument, including a statue of Meredith, was dedicated in a grassy area between the Lyceum and the J.D.Williams Library.
University, MS 38677
Hours: Walking Tour Mon-Fri 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Sat 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m., By appointment only, Call for schedule
c. 1850. Beautiful antebellum home, furnished with antiques and featuring an unusual staircase. Weddings, receptions, special occasions.
732 West Commerce St.
Aberdeen, MS 39730
Hours: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Mon-Fri; Or by appointment
Admission: $5 adults
c. 1899. A 100 year old structure (formerly Presbyterian Church) built in Romanesques Revival style with stunning stained glassed windows. The building also incorporates a Delta Gamma room with portrait of the founders.
Washington St. and Huntington St.
Kosciusko, MS 39090
Hours: By appointment
c. 1858. Home of the Holly Springs Garden Club, this antebellum Greek brick mansion shows the influence of the Classic Revival. The Arboretum society is located on the grounds of Montrose and contains 50 different species of trees native to the area.
335 E. Salem Ave.
Holly Springs, MS 38635
Hours: By appointment only
After a split in the Great Episcopal Church, the Freedom Society was formed and began sending missionaries into the South to organize private schools and churches. As a result, Mt. Moriah UMC was founded in 1866. Burned four times apparently due to dissentions between the Methodist South and the parent church, it was rebuilt in 1928 as a brick structure which stands today. In 2006, the church celebrated 140 years of ministering to the spiritual needs of the people.
800 Meigg St.
Corinth, MS 38834
Hours: Open Year Round
Housed in the third permanent jail built in Noxubee County. Books cased inside the jail cells. Still includes gallows. Romanesque architecture, National Register of Historic Places, Mississippi Landmark.
103 East King St.
Macon, MS 39341
Hours: Mon-Tue & Thu-Fri 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Closed holidays
Approximately 300 buildings and homes listed in National Register.
Main St. and surrounding area
Okolona, MS 38860
Located on the northeast corner of the Square, city hall was Oxford's first federal building. City government moved into the Romanesque Revival structure in 1975.