Built in 1843 by James Walton Harris, Whitehall was originally designed as a two-story Greek Revival townhouse. The stately mansion exhibits six square, paneled columns at the edge of a wooden porch. The banisters bordering the porch consist of identically-milled hardwood balusters.
Directory Category: Civil War
Originally known as the Veranda House, the home was built in 1857 by surveyor Hamilton Mask. Mr. Mask, along with his brother in-law, Houston Mitchell, founded the town of Corinth in 1855. During the Civil War, the home was a headquarters for Confederate Generals Braxton Bragg and Earl Van Dorn and Union General Henry Halleck.
Once the home of CSA Gen. Stephen D. Lee, the home was restored in 1960 by the Historical Society and the Society for Preservation of Antiques. It now houses the Florence McLeod Hazard Museum exhibiting Civil War collections and artifacts. It is featured in Columbus’ Annual Spring Pilgrimage.
Exhibits in “Frenchman’s Bend”, an outdoor exhibit area, give the visitor interactive experiences and a feel for Mississippi’s rural culture with the Faulkner Literary Garden, the Storyteller’s Chair, Varner’s Country Store, a caboose, an early 20th century doctor’s office, a black smith shop, a 1950s auto body shop, agricultural exhibits and great outdoor folk art….
Artifacts and displays begin with the arrival of Hernando DeSoto and his contact with the native inhabitants of Mississippi. Displays continue through the riverboat days with a working model of a paddlewheel boat. Other exhibits feature the parlor of an antebellum mansion and artifacts from the Civil War.
The old Courthouse Museum offers a fascinating visit to the past and a resource for genealogical research. The historic two-story brick Courthouse remains much as it was in 1889. Besides having a large collection of historical records and rotating exhibits of area attractions such as the World Famous Mineral Springs Water and Mineral Springs Hotel,…
The museum is full of historical data about the county, its past and the many noted figures and events that helped shape its storied past and mold its future.
The Heritage Museum is housed in a renovated 1874 Mobile & Ohio railroad depot in the heart of Starkville and offers a rich view of the history and culture of Starkville and Oktibbeha County through a permanent collection of artifacts that provide a window into the community’s bygone era.
Exhibits cover the early days of Noxubee County. Sections highlight the Choctaw Indians and other areas of community life.
Like many sites concerned with Southern history, the museum devotes the first few exhibitions of its tour to artifacts from the Civil War era. As guests proceed to the upper floors, however, the true quirkiness of the place begins to come into focus. In one room, they find a collection of taxidermy animals indigenous to…